Cape May, a charming seaside town in New Jersey, is not only known for its beautiful beaches and Victorian architecture but also for its abundance of local produce. If you’re a food lover or someone who appreciates fresh, organic fruits and vegetables, you’re in luck. In this article, we will explore the best places to buy local produce in Cape May.
Farmers Markets: A Paradise for Locavores
One of the best ways to support local farmers and get your hands on the freshest produce is by visiting farmers markets. Cape May has a few farmers markets that are worth checking out:
1. West Cape May Farmers Market: This market is held every Tuesday during the summer season and offers a wide variety of locally grown fruits and vegetables. From juicy tomatoes to crisp lettuce, you’ll find everything you need for a healthy meal. In addition to produce, you can also find artisanal bread, homemade jams, and locally sourced meats.
2. Cape May Farmers Market: Located in the heart of Cape May, this market is open every Thursday from June through September. Here, you’ll find a diverse selection of fruits, vegetables, herbs, and flowers. Don’t forget to try the homemade pies and pastries, which are a real treat for your taste buds.
3. West Cape May Farmers Market: Held every Saturday from May through October, this market is a favorite among locals. With a focus on organic produce, you can be sure that what you’re buying is not only fresh but also free from harmful pesticides. The market also features live music and a friendly atmosphere, making it a great place to spend your Saturday morning.
Local Farms: A Direct Connection to Nature’s Bounty
If you prefer a more hands-on experience and want to learn about the farming process, visiting local farms is a must. Cape May has several farms that offer farm tours and allow you to pick your own produce:
1. Beach Plum Farm: Situated on a sprawling 62-acre property, Beach Plum Farm is a working farm that offers farm-to-table experiences. Take a guided tour of the farm, learn about sustainable farming practices, and pick your own fruits and vegetables. Afterward, enjoy a delicious meal at their farm-to-table restaurant, where the ingredients are sourced directly from the farm.
2. Rea’s Farm: Located just outside of Cape May, Rea’s Farm is a family-owned farm that has been operating for over 100 years. Here, you can pick your own strawberries, blueberries, and tomatoes, depending on the season. They also offer a wide range of locally grown produce, including sweet corn, zucchini, and watermelon.
3. Allen Family Farm: With a focus on sustainable farming practices, Allen Family Farm offers a wide range of organic produce. From fresh lettuce and kale to sweet carrots and beets, you’ll find a variety of vegetables to choose from. They also offer a CSA (Community Supported Agriculture) program, where you can receive a weekly box of fresh produce.
Supporting Local Agriculture
Buying local produce not only benefits your health but also supports the local economy and reduces your carbon footprint. By shopping at farmers markets or visiting local farms, you can directly connect with the farmers who grow your food and learn about the sustainable practices they employ.
So, whether you’re a Cape May resident or just visiting, make sure to take advantage of the local produce options available. From farmers markets bursting with fresh fruits and vegetables to the hands-on experience of picking your own produce at local farms, Cape May offers a bounty of options for locavores. Embrace the flavors of the season and support the local community by buying local produce in Cape May.